It’s that time again! Ever first Thursday of the month NAAD brings us Art After Hours, a day when the art galleries of Nashville stay open late, bring out wine and cheese, and let you get your intellectual discussions about art on. Go NAAD!
Let’s see what the highlights are this month…
- Finer Things Gallery, near the Fairgrounds, presents Defeated Creek, Tennessee artist Linda Johnson’s latest cast of ceramic characters
- Gallery One in Belle Meade will be showing new works by gallery artists, including abstract paintings of new gallery artist Patty Oblack
- LeQuire Gallery, near Sylvan Park, invites guests to tour the gallery’s current exhibit, New Figurative Artists with host Alan LeQuire. At 6pm, LeQuire comments on the work, the artists, and the concept. Artists include Juliette Aristides, Maggie Rose, Murat Kaboulov, Joshua Bronaugh, Jonathan Matthews, and Marti Jones Dixon
- Local Color on Broadway presents “Small Treasures,” an annual event featuring small works from over 30 local and regional artists. These are items that will fit nicely under any tree
- Zeitgeist in Hillsboro Village presents Lars Strandh’s new works on linen and open studio/works on paper including artists Patrick DeGuira, Brady Haston, Hans Schmitt-Matzen, and Manuel Zeitlin
- The Arts Company downtown will exhibit the remaining vintage sketches from the estate of Ernest Hamlin Baker, the TIME cover artist in the 1920s-1940s
- Cumberland Gallery in Green Hills welcomes artist Barry Buxkamper who will speak about his work at 7pm. His works have been probing, witty explorations of varied themes executed with unbridled skill and imagination. In this show, most of his works deal with the process of aging (his in particular), in both a serious and playful manner.
Other participating galleries include Bennett Galleries, Estel Gallery, HA Gallery at Hanging Around, Hiram Van Gordon Memorial Gallery at Tennessee State University, The Parthenon, Richland Fine Art, Rymer Gallery, and Tinney Contemporary, among others. Frist Center for the Visual Arts and the Parthenon at Centennial Park present exhibitions with a fee to non-members – Frist Center participates in Art After Hours with free music and lectures
Check behind the cut for pictures of some of the highlights.